Sunday, May 1, 2011

The King's Speech

This movie has been on our Netflix list since it was released on DVD and we just recently got it in the mail.  We watched it today and it lived up to all of the awards it was nominated for and won.

Colin Firth was superb.  I've been in plays where I've had to use an accent, as well as use odd methods of speech, dialect, and sentence syntax, but what this actor achieved is beyond that of my comprehension.  I cannot imagine where I would start to learn a stammer.  From what I've read, he listened to King George VI's speeches and copied his stammer as best he could.

And I recognized Michael Gambon (Dumbledore!), Geoffrey Rush (Captain Barbosa), and Timothy Spall (Peter Petegrew/Wormtail), amongst other actors (no, I don't like Helena Bonham Carter, so I just ... ignored her).

Wonderful movie, incredibly moving, and oh so pleased with the scene where "Bertie" spoke so eloquently through the F-bombs.

What I loved was in the first 20 minutes of the movie.  Logue pegs Albert with the problem right away.  The only thing holding Albert back is fear.  By preventing Albert from hearing himself speak by forcing him to listen to music on a headset while speaking, Logue proves that Albert's problem isn't mechanical.  It's mental.  And by preventing Albert from fearing the sound of his voice by removing the element altogether, Albert speaks quite well.

Again, excellent movie, well done.  I give it a 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment