Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Necromancer

I finished The Necromancer last night.

One thing I noticed about these books: they include a preview of the following book.  This always leads me to believe there's about 15 more pages in the book than there really is.  Lo and behold, I was only 2 pages away from finishing it the other day and put it down because I thought I had more to go.  I pick it up to read it last night, and finished in about 30 seconds.

Whoops.

The fourth book in the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series was a pretty good read.  It held up to my expectations and I enjoyed it.  Tied up some loose ends, and we met some new people.

Turns out Scathach has a sister, Aoife.  We meet some famous gods/deities like Prometheus and The Green Man who help out Sophie, Josh, and crew.

But ultimately, the book takes a dark turn at the end when Josh is so heavily manipulated by Dee in a matter of minutes that I'm beginning to dislike Josh as a character.  Sure, Dee was able to sew some seeds of distrust in Josh towards Nicholas and Perenelle, but still.  Josh thinks that because Nicholas and Perenelle have kept things from thing, things that aren't really important, that they're lying to him all the time.

Sophie isn't much better but manages to continue fighting for herself, unlike Josh.  Josh decides he's better off following Dee and Virginia Dare (another famous name).  So Josh is kind of a dunce.

Hopefully at the end of this book (which I think is the last in the series) everything is resolved.  I'm not quite sure how that's going to work out there, there's quite a bit going on.

On a side note, I read a review of this book by someone on Amazon and they were bitching about how the chapters jump from group to group, scene to scene, due to the separation of parties.  And she also bitched about how there were too many characters to keep track of and related it to the likes of War and Peace.

I want to smack her and tell her to never read A Song of Ice and Fire.  This is nothing compared to the confusion that I've gotten from reading A Game of Thrones and I'm only a quarter of the way through that book.

Oh well, people are dumb.

Good book, excited to finish the next/last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment