Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

The day before flying to Italy, I made a stop -- one of many -- at Target to pick up a new book to read.  I have a couple other series that I could read, but I decided to grab a different one (since Luke is going to read Night Angel trilogy).

After refering to my list of books to read, the most likely candidated seemed to be The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.  So I grabbed it at Target the day before and then started reading it on the plane on the way over.

I watched a movie on the plane to Amsterdam but once that movie was finished, I started reading the book.  And I couldn't put the damn thing down.  It gripped me right from the beginning.

My mother-in-law had sort of described the books to me, specifically the character of Lisbeth Salander.  And I was intrigued.  But I didn't quite know what to expect.  Stieg Larsson writes so well.  I sort of wish I spoke Swedish so I could read the original text because what I read was traslated from Swedish to English and some spots felt ... off.

Translation issues aside, the book was just fantastic.  I read it each night while we were in Italy (except one night where I was just too damn tired, I fell asleep after taking a shower, and Luke said he was cuddling with me and I don't remember that at all).

The prose, the flow, the plot, the character development.  It was all superb.  I wish I'd bought the next two and brought them along because I finished the first one on the plane on the way back to JFK and tried reading this other book I'd brougt with and it wasn't very good.

I'm enthralled with Lisbeth's character.  And I also very much Blomkvist's character too.  They're relationship dynamic is extremely entertaining, regardless of how awkward they are together.

Anyway, great book, so glad I finally picked it up.  I'm already a couple chapters in to the 2nd book and it's quite interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment