Monday, May 9, 2011

The Fighter

Last night in an attempt to relax, Luke and I decided to watch The Fighter.  After about an hour or so, the DVD took a crap and we were unable to finish it.

What we have seen so far was great.  I knew Christian Bale was a little on the weird side, but he took the role of passed-his-prime-now-coke-addict-athlete to the extreme.  I wonder what he did to get in to that role ... *sarcasm*

I know nothing of this true story that the movie is based on.  So I'm drawing some conclusions here from what I've seen in the movie so far.  This takes place in a suburb of New York, most likely Queens.  Why Queens?  Because Mark Wahlberg is in the movie and also produced the movie.  He has this ... thing about Queens.  And I think it stems from his HBO t.v. show Entourage.

In Entourage, the main character Eric (a.k.a E, and yes he is the main character, not Vince), his best friend Vince, Vince's brother Johnny (a.k.a. Drama) and Turtle are all from Queens.  There's a shot in Season 5 (I think), at the end of the season, where the group goes back to Queens and Vince stays at his mother's house.  The shot is of Vince and E arguing out on the street over issues that have come up since Medellin tanked, and Vince inadvertently got fired from Smoke Jumpers (because the director was psycho).  Vince fires E since he cannot land Vince a shot in a Gus Van Sant movie, and E flies back to L.A.  However, at the end of the season, if I remember correctly, Vince gets a call from Martin Scorsese's office who wants Vince in Scorsese's new adaptation of The Great Gatsby, because E did some extra leg work to get Vince's reel in to  Van Sant who forwarded it to Scorsese.


Vince accepts the roll and the camera pans out to show the street Vince grew up on.  This street looks extremely familiar to a shot in The Fighter where the camera pans to show a street where, I think, Micky lives.

I can't find screen shots to save my life at this time, but I think I still have Season 5 of Entourage on DVD, so I'll have to do some comparison of the scenes I'm thinking of on my computer tonight.

And when we get a working copy of The Fighter, I'll finish the review ...

No comments:

Post a Comment