Friday, August 31, 2012

Contact lenses ...

To complete my Selene costume I am purchasing a set of icy blue contacts from Coastal.com.  I put in the order and it came back with a message stating that, because my prescription with my eye doctor has expired, I'd have to go get a check-up and a contact lens fitting.

So I did this yesterday and everything went well.  Eyes look good.  They work.  Prescription didn't even change, which is quite nice because I don't have vision insurance and frames are expensive.  And my doc even had some clear contact lenses in my prescription in the office (both eyes are -1.50).  The colored ones I tried on were too clear and didn't cover up the green.  I definitely need to get the Halloween deals (Angelic Blue from Coastal).  Dr. Stout actually used to work at the company that made all those contacts.  Coastal.com bought them out.  Small world.

Anyway, I was able to put the contacts (taking them out was harder, but I think I'm getting it down).  I didn't buy any solution last night though and now, I'm sitting here with one contact that is nicely hydrated with solution (right eye), and the other is completely dried out because I tried to rinse it with, yup, you guessed it, water.  My left eye is all red and it's scratching my eyelid pretty bad.  I didn't bring my case with because I, like an idiot, didn't buy any solution.  IMMEDIATELY upon my return to Eagan this afternoon, I am going to Walgreens and buying eye drops and solution and a better case.

I have to say, putting them in at least was way easier than I remember from middle school.  Taking them out still seems a little ... odd.  I feel like I'm going to pop the cornea off my eye.  But, I guess it'll just take some getting used to.  I can't even tell they're in (when they're properly hydrated with solution AND NOT WATER).

Moral of the story: don't use water on your contacts.  Ever.  Always drown them in solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment