Thursday, August 9, 2012

Sleep Experiment

The last few nights (since about last Sunday) I haven't been sleeping well.  Somewhat related to stress, somewhat related to not exercising at all last week, I'm getting pretty fed up of waking up at 2am and not being able to fall back a sleep for an hour or two.

I've been doing some research in an attempt to figure out why I'm waking up at 2.  After I figured it out, I had a "well, duh" moment.

We sleep in four hour chunks.  Why are we then recommended to get eight hours of sleep?  Because one four hour block of sleep isn't enough.  But it's just enough for our brains to be ready to do an hour or two of work (whatever kind of work that may be) and then we're ready for another four hour sleep.

So for this to work, I'm going to try this:
  • Go to bed at 9pm. (holy shit, I know that sounds early)
  • Wake up at 1am.
  • Dick around for an hour.
  • Go back to bed at 2am.
  • Wake up at 6am to go to work.
Probably won't try this until Sunday this week.  We'll see how it goes.  And I'll let you know.



No comments:

Post a Comment